Working on Area Development Plans (ADP) with HB&A:
Today’s fiscal climate requires community planners to provide documents that are creative but straightforward, focused on near-term cost savings and execution, but still visionary. A sharply focused, well-executed Area Development Plan is the best tool for:
- Responding to the local implications of centralized decision-making
- Addressing increasing pressure to shrink, consolidate, and reduce footprint without MILCON
- Building buy-in for planning decisions among installation stakeholders
- Getting projects started along the planning and programming ramp
The HB&A team is dedicated to producing ADPs that are:
- Efficient – Affordable enough to justify and quick enough to maintain relevance and momentum.
- User-Driven – A deep sense of ownership by the entire installation community.
- Ideologically Neutral – Our role is to listen to the priorities of installation stakeholders, not to push new fads or ideas on your installation.
HB&A brings a unique, deliberate, thorough, and creative approach to each ADP, centered around an effective and engaging charrette week.
1) Laying the GroundWork
Through our experience, we have found that ADPs require a unique approach. Our team invests lots of time and resources up front in understanding the installation, the district, the users, and the client’s product expectations. The up-front work that we do builds a strong foundation for the plan and builds credibility with participants.
2) MAKING A PLAN
This up-front work leads to an onsite, multi-day charrette. As the key formative moment for every ADP, the charrette structure will vary for each ADP, but the key elements that distinguish an HB&A charrette include:
- Planning 101 Overview
- Project Priorities Exercise
- Participant Field Study
- Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats (SWOT)
- Vision Generation Exercises
- Goals and Objectives Identification
- Alternatives Development
- Alternatives Evaluation
- Preferred Alternative Refinement
- Charrette Summary Outbrief
3) Showing Results
Following the development of the key products during the charrette week, HB&A polishes the ADP document, adds explanatory and illustrative graphics, and fully develops the regulating plan, planning standards, and the phasing plan.